Sunday, August 22, 2010

a letter.....

Dear Honeybees living where our roof meets our wall,

I'm sorry we had to evict you.

From what I can tell, you are perfectly friendly bees...not of the killer persuasion.

It's just that well, humans and bees can't share living spaces.

There's the language barrier. I speak English while you speak Bzzzzzzz.

You fly up to say hello. I wave my arms in response, misunderstanding your Bzzzz "hello!" for Bzzzz "I'm going to sting you!". Before I can correct my social faux pas you are on the defensive like a heat seeking missile narrowing down the spot you see best to plant your stinger.

Even if we were someday able to understand your dances and Bzzzz's, there is the one tiny itty bitty little problem of the sweet babe growing in my belly.

When we first bring the baby home we won't even understand it. The baby speaks in screams, cries and grunts that, at first, will be completely foreign to us. Your Bzzzz 'hello!' will be impossible for the little one to understand...and me being the new momma, I know I will for sure misinterpret it for 'I can't wait to tell my friends about this chubby little addition to the family. It will be a fight to see who will be the first to sting it!'

You can call me selfish till the pollen comes home, but I think the eviction will truly be the best thing for everyone involved.

Hoping your honey is sweet this year,
Court

PS: I'm also sorry about your fallen comrades. It didn't have to end that way for them. The eviction notice went up (aka: your nest was sprayed) and they ignored it. We can't have squatters buzzing around inside our house day and night doing who knows what out of revenge.

No comments: