Monday, July 6, 2009

of course....

Two things anyone who has met me knows:

1) I'm a talker.

2) "Do I have anything in my nose?" Is question my friends/family get asked often....by me. Nothing worse than talking to someone and having a boog in your nose and the person NOT telling you about it.

That said......

Here is the problem with being a talker. Once you have this label slapped on you (and it has been stamped on my forehead since the ripe old age of 5)....if you aren't talking people think something is wrong.

"Are you OK? You didn't talk much at dinner."

Even talkers like to be silent. GASP! Sometimes I like to sit and listen to a conversation and not put my two cents in, even when I have something to say. Inevitable though, I get a text or email or call later that day or the next making sure I'm OK.

A couple of Fridays ago I decided to be a big girl. I went to lunch, at a restaurant, ALL. BY. MYSELF. OK, maybe it was a workaurant, but still ALL. BY. MYSELF. I have NEVER done this.

(Fast Chinese food....I got rice and noodles and the girl ringing me up judged me. "Just a side of rice and a side of lo mein????? UM....eeerrrr......OoooooKkkkkkk....." she said to me whilst rolling her eyes.)

I sat in a booth by a window, eating my lunch and watching the cars go by. I brought a book (Little Women), but I found myself not needing/wanting to read it. I wasn't experiencing the "AHH! I feel like everyone is staring at me wondering why I am eating by myself" feeling I thought I would. I thought to myself: This is kind of great! This is quiet and relaxing. Silence is soothing. Way to go Court! I am growing up right before my own eyes! I don't always have to rely on friends and family to keep me company all the time. I can keep my own company.

I left the restaurant with my head held high.

Then I got into the car and noticed I had a little boog in my nose.

2 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

It's almost as bad as having a giant piece of ear wax on your finger, large and very orange. I've been caught out by that one many times.

Saskia said...

Haha, so funny!

I get very paranoid about food in my teeth... I'm always asking Mr B to check for spinach etc. Nice.

I wish more people would just tell us we had food in our teeth, need to blow our nose etc!!

xx