Tuesday, February 9, 2010

If it weren't so annoy, it would be funny.

"tink....tink....tink...."

That is the sound of my car not starting.

The problem isn't just with my car. It's a problem with a boat load of the make and model of my car. A problem that occurs most often when it is cold and wet outside. A problem that is not cause for a factory recall because it is not deemed a 'safety issue'.

Call me Crazy Cathy from down the street, but I'm pretty sure being stranded in the cold wet weather is a bit of a 'safety issue' for this lady.

To adequately express to you how annoying this 'non-safety issue' is, I shall share with you my Friday morning.

-wake up and get ready for brunch with Ang
-10 minutes before leaving I grab the keys and head to the car....all the while sending positive thoughts it's way
-I sit in the car, put my foot on the break and spit on the key (Stone found a couple of people online who said that the key being wet sometimes helps the 'non-safety issue' to not get tripped)
-it starts (hallelujah!)
-finish getting ready and head to brunch
-pull into the restaurant parking lot and seriously debate leaving the car running while eating
-walk out to the car and ask Ang to hang out for a minute just in case the car doesn't start
-I sit in the car, put my foot on the break and spit on the key
-it starts (hallelujah!)
-I check the clock and realize I have a full hour and a half before I need to be at work.
-what can I do for an hour and a half that doesn't require me to turn my car off? I'm near my sister's house, but she is on a plane headed for sunny Florida. My mom is in a car on her way back from dropping said sister (and husband) off at the airport. Katie O is mid walk to the grocery and then dining with her boy toy.
-I get off the interstate and see the place I hate most, but happens to have a drive thru
-pull into the Starbucks drive-thru and order a Skinny Vanilla Latte
-curse myself for purchasing anything from Starbucks
-decide to run 'drive-thru errands'
-pull into the bank and complete my transaction
-realize there are no clothing boutiques in my neighborhood with drive-thru windows (are there any in your neighborhood?...cause if there are I might need to relocate)
-drive around aimlessly for another 25-27 minutes
-decide driving around aimlessly, in near blizzard conditions, is more of a 'safety issue' than the 'non-safety issue'
-go to work early


And that is what my life has become.


2 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

It could be worse though, you could own a Toyota...or have just a few weeks back bought a shed-load of Toyota shares...

nokomis said...

I can totally sympathize with the dread of an unreliable car and the sometimes necessary evil of Starbucks's caffiene beverages.