Monday, October 26, 2009

From my Great Granny to you....

Saturday brought friends, laughter, conversation and fun to my humble home. I debated all week about what to make for linner (lunch + dinner = linner). After much conversation and with the help of many, I decided on my Great Gran Estelle's vegetable soup.


I grew up on this soup/stew. It warms my soul thinking about coming home from school and smelling a pot of this goodness cooking on the stove.


Estelle's Vegetable Soup



1 head of cabbage shredded
1 small onion finely chopped
3 potatoes peeled and chopped (bite size)
4 carrots peeled and chopped (bite size)
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen lima beans
1 cup frozen green beans
1 large can tomato juice
1/2 stick margarine
Nature Seasoning to taste (click the link if you are unsure as to what Nature Seasoning is...basically a blend of salt, pepper, garlic, onion etc...)

HOW TO:
Put cabbage and onion into the pot along with the tomato juice, margarine and seasoning. Let cook down for a while. (note: the pot ((make sure to use a BIG pot)) will look really full with just the cabbage and onion, but it cooks down to nothing so don't you worry a bit!) Add the remaining vegetables to the pot and let cook until all the veggies are tender....or covered and on med-low to low for a few hours.

Note 1: If it looks like there needs to be more liquid in the pot, add water or more tomato juice (at any point in the cooking process)

Note 2: If you want to be a good little cook and use all fresh veggies, GO FOR IT, we just use the regular old frozen for corn, lima beans and green beans because well it's a heck of a lot easier.

Note 3: I used a rather large pot on my stove for this (the kind with two handles on either side)....if you choose to do that too, you can go ahead and purchase the bags of frozen corn, lima beans and green beans and just throw the whole bag into the pot.

Note 4: If you would like to make this Vegetable Beef Stew....just add shredded beef to the pot while it is all cooking together. I grew up on that variation as well.

This is seriously easy cooking. Add a side of corn bread and a big spoon and you are set!!!!


PS: Saskia, I will be making your mushroom risotto recipe sometime this week....I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you for sending it over!!!


3 comments:

Saskia said...

mmmmm, that stoup looks and sounds so delicious!!!

So glad you had a fab time!

Saskia xx

mo.stoneskin said...

I'll bet Great Gran Estelle was a riot. By great gran used to make me play piano to her, then she would pull me off the piano stool and show how me it is really done. She would go crazy on that piano.

Unknown said...

NOMZ. i've never made soup before! (is that weird? i'm a "beginner" cook.) i think i should start with this one...i like that it's grandma-approved!