Monday, September 28, 2009

H.E. Double Hockey Sticks

Anyone who has ever had the pleasure of removing wallpaper, knows what it is like. I am currently in hell. I brought it on myself, but all the same....it's still hell.

Wallpaper hell.

I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize. The prize being my freshly painted 'Deep Walnut' family room (with crown moulding to boot).

"I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I KNOW I CAN!" It's my mantra and I'm sticking to it! I'm 1/4 of the way through the project.

1.remove top layer of wallpaper...done
2.remove second layer of wallpaper
3.prime
4.paint

If I had the current address for the previous owner of our home...I think I would send her hate mail.

Wallpaper does not bring out the best in me.

On a happier note.

Mi madre brought me a tasty lunch to work the other day.


On the menu: chicken salad croissants, strawberry & spinach salad, buckeyes and raspberry lemonade.


I thought I would share the recipe for Strawberry & Spinach Salad



Strawberry & Spinach Salad
*1 ½ to 2 bunches of spinach
*1 pint of fresh strawberries (thinly sliced)
*sliced almonds (warm & stir in skillet in melted butter until toasted)
 
Dressing

(usually double the ingredients below)
*1/2 cup of sugar
*1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
*1 tablespoon of poppy seeds
*1 ½ teaspoon of minced onion
*1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
*1/4 teaspoon of paprika
*1/4 cup of cider vinegar
*1/2 cup of vegetable oil (sometimes use ¼ cup olive oil & ¼ cup vegetable oil
-How To-Add Image
Place all dressing ingredients except oil in a blender. Add oil in a slow steady stream with blender on low speed. Blend until creamy and thick.

(notes: sometimes we just put the dressing ingredients in a jar and 'shake shake shake!' until our hearts are content!)

Wash and dry spinach and place in a large salad bowl. Add strawberry slices, toasted almonds and toss all ingredients with the dressing.


ENJOY!!!!


5 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

Does the previous owner live nearby? You could give her the wallpaper back, say you don't want it.

Anonymous said...

looks delicious.
sorry about the wallpaper. i TOTALLY know how that goes.

Unknown said...

ohh delish. you had me at "toasted almonds!"

sorry about the wallpaper fiasco. "Deep walnut" sounds awesome. i wish i had a family room! (or you know...more than just one big room.) :)

Saskia said...

Gah. I'm not sure my marriage would survive if I had to strip away 2 layers of wallpaper - I would be impossible!! It's the most frustrating job!!!

xx

seesaw designs said...

spinach and strawberry salads are the best!