Friday, June 26, 2009

Nicknames! Oh how I love nicknames!!! I feel a little spring in my step when a new friend feels comfortable enough to call me Court. I just love it. Maybe it feels less formal, who knows, but I love it.

Whenever I think of a name I like, for a possible future child, I always try to think of the nicknames that people will come up with for it.

Here are some of the nicknames I have gotten over the years.

Court (obviously)
Courtcly (mi Madre and pops...not sure where it came from though)
Courtiewoo (my Aunt Deidra)
CoCo (Katie Jean...and I'm pretty sure that is what her children will be calling me)

All pretty harmless. Well except in 3rd grade three boys called me Cornstalk and Corny. Stupid boys.

But the nicknames I really love are the ones that have nothing to do with a persons name. Like "Swiss". Katie Jean and I called each other Swiss for a good 2.5 years. It's a dumb story that involved her and I bringing 2lbs of Swiss cheese to a pitch-in/cookout consisting of 8 girls. Needless to say there was a boat load of Swiss left. Silly, but it makes me smile to think of it.

Now I'm going to fill you in on a little tidbit from the world of Court & Stone. My nickname for Stone is "Panda Bear". Not because he is big and burly like a bear, he's not. Or because he eats bamboo, he doesn't. It's because of this commercial:





After we saw it, instead of asking "what's the matter?" we would say "Why so blue Panda Bear?" After awhile the phrase got old, but "Panda Bear" was stuck like glue to Stone forever.

I love it. He feels less fondly about it. (I think secretly he digs it)

1 comment:

Saskia said...

Only one of my friends has given me a nickname!! She calls me Sask... original, no? !!

I called Mr B 'koala' once, as a joke, on a text, and his football team-mate read it and told the whole team. We'd only been dating about 2 or 3 months and he was mortified!!

Have a lovely weekend matey! xx