Thursday, February 5, 2009

WORM....of the book persuasion




I started The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton on Wednesday.


(no, I did not purposely pick that day of the week)


I finished it this evening.


I know I should save my thoughts for my next book club meeting but since I'm fairly confident that only two of the book club members read this blog, I'm just gonna let my thoughts fly.


I loved this book....I could have done without the abrupt ending....other than that: A+


I have read other books similar in theme: The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood and Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (are two off the top of my head)


I love books that are centered around a group of women who haven't necessarily known each other since they were little, but who form the closest most honest friendships you could ever hope for. Books that are about empowering women, but not in an "I'm gonna burn my bra" kind of a way.


quiet strength


(not meaning to steal Coach Dungy's book title, but it honestly did just come to me and then I wondered where I had heard it before)


The way this book is written is how I imagine the narrator (if she were real) would talk. It doesn't "sound" like I am reading something a person wrote down. It seemed more like actually listening to a women talk....does that make sense?


Example: My Aunt Deidra told me she laughs when she reads my emails because I write the EXACT SAME way I talk. She can picture me moving my hands and jabbering on and on about whatever it is I emailed her about.
(I'm a motor mouth in person....sometimes it's a bit intense)


THAT is how reading this book was....like sitting on a bench listening to a lady reminisce about her friends.


When I read books like this it always makes me sentimental about my girlfriends. I don't have very many but the ones I do have I am over the moon for. Each one of them, in their own special way, makes me a better person.


So thank you my little lovelies (you know who you are) for making my life that much brighter.


MUAH!




1 comment:

Saskia said...

I love reading books about empowered women - Quiet strength- is the perfect description.

I'll have to add The Wednesday Sisters to my reading list!

Have a great weekend x